Thursday, October 1, 2009

A First for Us

In hosting over 30 different speakers during our time in Sacramento, I didn't think I could be surprised any more by the actions, needs, and responses we receive from the distinguised guests that visit Sacramento.

I was proven wrong however this last week as I was going through our mail that had piled up over the last few days. Among the junk mail and bills was a letter addressed to my wife and me. I was taken aback by what I found inside; a hand written note of thanks written by our first speaker of the season, General Colin Powell.

The letter of thanks was informal and somewhat bland but it certainly caught my attention for two reasons. One, it was the first letter of thanks that we had received from a lecturer in our five plus years in operation. Secondly, it came from a person who is extremely busy, somewhat important on a national stage, and frankly, doesn't need to write thank you notes to someone like me.

Certainly makes you realize how small things can make a big difference in your feelings towards others.

No comments:

Post a Comment